Wednesday 11 November 2009

Hair Today and Gone Tomorrow?


When I first joined SL back in March 2007, hair was a very dodgy issue. I used to have long red hair on my avatar then, and like with most avs, hair was a very important feature in respect of my SL appearance! Well I say it was a dodgy issue because I would be going out to a virtual party or dance thinking my av looked like a million dollars with my nicely styled red hair only to have someone at the party give me the bad news that I was, in fact, bald to everyone else! Oh the shame!! everyone else seemed to have their hair, and the fact that I could see mine, but no one else could, only made it worse, oh the insecurity of not knowing if you are bald or not!!

My friend Drax Ember was so cruel, he would simply don a pair of sunglasses and complain about the glare from my scalp and I knew it had happened again, SL leaving me looking a right state with my sticky out ears and shiny egg shaped head! Well over the months things improved, no one seemed to say I was bald anymore and I got really complacent, changing my hairstyles from one day to the next, not a care in the virtual world, the bald days were a thing of the past!

Then it happened again, I went to a meeting at the CNN Island yesterday and sat there quite pleased, once again secure in the fact that I had long black hair with nice red highlights. I joined in the group chat, colleagues Ed Follet and Hibiscus Hastings joined me, Ed even sat next to me and I just carried on, happy as you like, answering CNN Producer Nicole Saidi's questions! Then Drax came over and directly he set eyes on me mentioned that the glare was back and I could see him looking in his pocket for his sunglasses as he spoke! Ed said he had not wanted to tell me in case it put me off the discussion and Hib said she could see my hair from the other side of the arena where she sat, but another ireporter Latok, who sat a little way away also told me I had no hair!

Looks like we, or I, am taking a backwards step and now have to worry about being a baldie again, I might get my head tattooed with a big sign that says 'Well I can see my hair even if you can't' or I might just get some hair tattooed on my scalp, oh well back to the drawing board Linden Labs!!




Janey Bracken

8 comments:

  1. Some people have a curious attitude towards second life hair, why only the other day Hibs and I saw a man at Phat Cats who was happily wearing a demo hair style complete with a floating box with the word 'demo' on it. I have several bald bases which I am told somehow enhance the hair or make it sit on the head better. In short, I find that most men's hair styles in SL make the wearer look like he has been pulled through a hedge backwards, bald base or not.
    BJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, there are some funny sights in SL with hairstyles! and yes, most of the men's ones look like they have a cat sitting on their heads! Making hair is very tricky though, I tried it, I never wore what I made though, I think I would have looked better with Max my siamese kitten sitting on my head!

    Janey :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did Drax get the sunglasses?

    ReplyDelete
  4. With shiny pates such as us poor chaps have to suffer, no ordinary sunglasses would suffice. My money is on Drax obtaining extra dark ones from a welding shop. BJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, perhaps Drax could pick up a few pairs so we can all have some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps your hair is more visible to people not wearing dark glasses?

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know Rob, I think you are right! Seems like they all have an obsession for dark glasses, probably to hide their hangovers, have you see the size of the Margaritas that Hib drinks?

    Janey :)

    ReplyDelete