Tuesday 26 January 2010

Horsing Around In Forest Island


I found Forest Island in SL Showcase and read the description which stated that you can explore the sim on horseback. When I arrived I could see a white horse waiting to take me for a ride. The horse had a double saddle, so I thought friend Drax Ember may want to explore with me. Drax came over and we climbed into the saddles of the tall thin horse. The roads were very narrow and the horse sped off along the route under his own steam with us clinging on. The sim is very pretty and the horse takes you on quite a trip as he tries to keep his footing. Indeed, it seemed that the horse had been eating some fermented hay, as at times he spun around in the wrong direction or tried to throw us off by putting his head down to the ground, it was hilarious! Maybe our animation overrides didn’t help, but at least the horse managed to stick to the trail, even with his wobbly legs. It’s worth taking the trip, which is quite a long one, to explore the whole sim, which is lovely. So expect to be saddle sore by the time you get to the other end!! If you don’t fancy the horse ride you can also go on foot, taking your time to look at each area, I liked it a lot and the horse idea was great of fun!!










Janey Bracken



















6 comments:

  1. That looks like a lot of fun, I will definitely have to go and try it out. Thanks for the post on this, good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually have much luck riding second life horses, I tend to end up wearing them and looking like a centaur. Still, it looks like they have the cack-handed avatar covered in this sim and I will go for a looksee! Bring on the fermented straw! BJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was lots of fun, but one bit of horse riding advice: Do NOT use mouselook while on this tour. The horse moves erratically and if you are prone to dizziness it may cause a problem!

    Was a fun ride though! I don't know how Janey finds all these wonderful, little-known spots to expore!!!

    - Drax

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Drax,

    I can see why mouselock would make anyone dizzy, that horse was plainly drunk and tried his best to shake us off!! Good job you are such a good rider, maybe those cowboy boots helped a lot!!

    Janey x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Boye,

    Yes this horse seemed pretty SL proof if you can put up with the spinning around and lurching which was hilarious! I did use my own horse when I first went there, but he kept falling off the little paths, but I think that was me not being in proper control!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Hib,

    Get Boye to take you on the horse so you can sit on the back and blame him if the horse bolts! Thats why I let Drax take the reigns, I thought if the horse is going to turn around and bite someone it wouldn't reach me!!

    ReplyDelete