Saturday 20 February 2010

Having a Beer at the Rovers


Fellow reporter Ed Follet told me that there was a Rovers Return pub from the British television program Coronation Street in SL, so I went off to find it. And there it was in a sim called Le Meteque – Rovers Return Inn. It’s very well done, the green and gold pub sign and the glass windows etched with the name of the pub. Inside there is a jolly looking barman with the famous Newton and Ridley best bitter on the bar in front of him. On the walls are pictures of the actual television characters, the original pub landlady with her husband, Annie and Jack Walker, Ena Sharples and Elsie Tanner. I sat down next to one of the customers, but he didn’t have a lot to say as he read his paper. He did look as if he was a visitor to the pub rather than a regular, could that have been a Norwegian newspaper he was reading? Coronation Street with its pub the Rovers Return, is known all around the world so it has many fans from abroad. I was going to ask for one of Betty’s delicious Hotpots until I remembered that I am a vegetarian, so I settled for a nice cold beer and a walk around the beautiful harbour outside.







Janey Bracken



















4 comments:

  1. I'm impressed with your knowledge of Coronation Street trivia Janey, and have to admit that I could name most of the characters in the Photos too! The attention to detail in the pub is astonishing, even our resident brewing correspondent Boye approves.

    Ed :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. These people are tv legends, funny to think how long the series has been running for, having fans all over the world, I wonder if Eastender's Queen Vic pub is in SL too, with pictures of Dirty Den and Angie Watts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is funny to think of how long the show has been running, and how the characters have become so well known. I used to watch but not during the time of Elsie Tanner, however I knew who she was and like Ed recognized the people in the pictures. And I guess the show is popular in Norway too! Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Newton & Ridley best bitter! Eeeee,champion! BJ

    ReplyDelete