Monday 22 June 2009

A Weekend of Activities in the Nation of Victoriana



This past weekend was a “Victoriana” one for me. The Nation of Victoriana is an ever-expanding series of sims set in the Victorian era. The sims are owned by Mayor LittleBlackDuck Lindsay, who dedicates himself tirelessly to the creation and maintenance of the beautifully detailed region. I was first introduced to Victoriana by my friend Boye Jervil, the owner of the Pre-Raphaelite Gallery in Victoriana Square, and since then I have visited and occasionally written about the nation. This was the first time I have had the opportunity to attend any of the events.


On Friday evening, June 19, a live RL concert was streamed into many sims in Second Life, including Victoriana Square. In RL, two classical duos, the Duo Apassionato and Duo DnA, joined up and played a wide-ranging selection of music which was then made available in SL, as part of a fund raising effort for the Raleigh Symphony Orchestra. In Victoriana Square a lovely gazebo and dance floor were set up in Acorn Park, setting the stage for a very pleasant evening.



The second event took place on Saturday, June 20. This was the Ascot Ball and Annual Horse Race. The sim was packed with Victoriana residents and visitors from other Victorian themed sims, since these events were included in the mid-summer Grand Tour of Victorian sims, benefiting the Relay for Life. Many of the ladies wore black and white outfits, no doubt inspired by the famous Ascot Gavotte scene from “My Fair Lady”, while others appeared in jewel tones of blue, deep rose and burgundy, and a scattering wore paler pinks and blues, adding to the beauty of the scene. Gentlemen were formally dressed in dark colours. The Mayor stood out in his bright red jacket, in which he could easily be seen warmly welcoming everyone to the sim.


Congratulations to LittleBlackDuck Lindsay, Panacea Luminos and all the organizers of these two events.


Hibiscus Hastings

2 comments:

  1. I thought the Ascot Ball was beautiful, it was my first visit to an event in the sim and I was struck by the beauty of the location and the detailed costumes that people wore. It was a shame that the evening was spoiled for me by SL, I either froze when I tried to move or take pictures and kept crashing, being unable to log back on in the end. My apologies to anyone who spoke to me and did not get a response!

    Janey B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the SL problems were extremely frustrating, which was a real shame because so many people had worked so hard on this event. And I am sure people there were aware of all the SL problems, so if anyone was missed in conversation they would realize that it was due to technical difficulties. It was great having your there, hopefully next time SL will behave.

    ReplyDelete