Monday 23 March 2009

Too much grief





Hello everyone, I really wanted to start this new blog with an upbeat, 'make you feel good' story. Unfortunately because of something that happened to me a few weeks ago I cant really concentrate on much else. Maybe if I put it down in print, and tell you all about it, then it might help me, so here's what happened. I was spending some time at one of my favourite places called Sunflower trivia, which is owned by Stormy Sion, Stormy is a very nice little girl, and has accomplished an amazing amount for saying she is only six years old! The sun was just starting to set and I was enjoying talking to a few of my friends. All of a sudden two avatars appeared, straight away I knew there was something sinister about them. They were dressed in what I can only describe as military uniforms, ready for battle sort of thing. One of them made a beeline straight for me, and without so much as a word of hello told me how lucky I was, as he had chosen me for sex! I can't write what he actually said, it's unprintable. I've only been in Second Life for about four months, and I have to say I have been asked now and then if i want to have sex, but I've never been told I'm going to.Anyone who knows me, will know I'm not shy and will not back down from anything or anyone, and I certainly won't be talked to like that. I told him to go away and grow up, to which he responded by pulling out some type of gun which. when fired, sent me hurtling out of the Sim and into some kind of wilderness. I was free-falling through empty sky, eventually I landed on solid ground not even knowing where I was. I'm not going to let this scum treat me like this, I will teach him a lesson I thought, so I TP'd myself straight back to Sunflower. Sure enough he was still there when I got back. He moved closer to me and before I knew it I was trapped in a metal cage, it was only then I realised I didn't have any means of defending myself! nor I'm almost ashamed to say, attack and even hurt this evil monster. I was frightened and felt violated, how, and why would anyone want to do this to me? but I will not give in. I managed to struggle free by using the pie menu chart and sitting on top of the cage, but every time I broke free he would only encase me again. After being trapped several times I realised I did have a way to fight back. A male friend of mine generously gave me --- wait for it--- a zk4 attack helicopter, how romantic was that? hehe. I sifted through my inventory, and after what seemed an age I eventually managed to materialise the helicopter, Once again I scrambled free from my tormentors cage, and climbed aboard what I hoped would be my saviour from this hell. Now I know it wrong to have these feeling, but after what I've been through because of this thug, I really wanted to hurt him. If I could stop him in any way, then he might not hurt anyone else. I started the engines, looked up, and to my astonishment I was confronted with the biggest war plane I'd ever seen. This was definitely squeaky bum time. I tried to fly away, to get out of this nightmare, but he somehow managed to disable my chopper and throw an even bigger cage around it. was really scared now, what would he do next? could he reach in here and rip me to bits, so ending my short time in Second Life? Well fortunately for me I didn't find out, because as suddenly as the attacks started they both disappeared. I think their mummies had called them for their dinner!When I finally climbed out of the helicopter I was shaking with fear and anger, how can this sort of thing happen, surely there's something someone can do about such harassment. There is a system in place where you can report such abuse (just go to help at the top of your screen, and click on report abuse). If only I'd had the presence of mind I would have made a note of their names, sadly I didn't, I would have loved to name and shame them. Just reporting them for abuse doesn't seem enough to me, even if they do get banned from Second Life they only return later under a new name, and who knows just how far they might go next time! Will we have to be going round picking up dead avatars before anything real is done about it. Is there a way that the 'powers that be' in Second Life can trace their computers address and ban them from entering Second Life that way? I don't know, but I bet there are many av's out there that do, perhaps you could let me know. One thing I do know is that many avatar's will be frightened away from Second Life if the abuse is allowed to continue. I spoke to my good friend Janey Bracken about the abuse from griefers. she reminded me that she posted an article in our sister paper Virtually London (lite) a while back, giving lots of tips and help for dealing with such griefers. I would love to hear from anyone who has suffered abuse of any kind in Second Life. You can be anonymous if it makes you feel more comfortable, you can get in touch with me by either dropping me a note in to my profile box, or sending me an email. My address is pixipiers@googlemail.com. Please feel free to drop me a line about anything that's on your mind, I would love to hear from you. Bye for now Pixi

No comments:

Post a Comment