Thursday 13 August 2009

Father Ted Tribute In SL


I seem to have been writing about television programs being linked into SL recently. I did the story about ‘The Prisoner’ which starred Patrick McGoohan, and just recently I have written about ‘Dr Who’ in SL for CNN. I was looking at people’s profiles, which is a bit of a hobby of mine, and spotted in a friend’s ‘Picks’ that he had found a site for a television program called ‘Father Ted’. Now I hadn’t been going to write any more tv stuff for a while, but I instantly wanted to go over to see the location, so I used the teleport button to take me over to the SL version of 'Craggy Island' where fictional Father Ted lives. Father Ted was a lovely gentle comedy about three Irish Catholic priests and their housekeeper, who lived together on the remote island.

It’s main characters were Father Jack Hackett (actor Frank Kelly), housekeeper Mrs Doyle (actress Pauline McLynn), Father Dougal McGuire (actor Ardal O’Hanlon) and Father Ted Crilly (actor Dermot Morgan, who regretfully died, aged 45, after the filming of the last show). Most of the stories were based on Father Ted trying to control the manic situations they got into because of Father Dougal’s naively innocent character, Father Jack’s alcoholic swearing tantrums (his favourite words being ‘Feck’, ‘Arse’ and ‘Girls’!) and Mrs Doyle’s over the top adoration in trying to please them all.

The house in the sim looks just like the cottage from the series and as you walk in you can see the familiar furnishings and little pictures of the cast dotted about. In the living room there is a life size picture of Mrs Doyle complete with her trolley of hot tea and cakes and the whole thing brings back memories of the series. Upstairs there is the bedroom shared by the sensible Father Ted with his neatly made up conservative bed linen on his bed, next to it is Father Dougal’s bed with its ‘superhero’ childish duvet and pillow case set. Father Jack’s bedroom is scattered with litter, with a black bin liner full of rubbish in the middle of the room which has a swarm of flies hovering around it. On his bed there is a crate of Martini! In one part of the series they had rabbits escape all over the house and sure enough, the guest bedroom in the SL version has the rabbits sitting everywhere too.

The SL Craggy Island is a tribute to the show by a group called FeckArse Industries and it’s a lot of fun, if you are a fan of the show it’s one not to miss!!


Flanagans Island 196, 90, 32 – Craggy Island Parochial House of Secondlife ®




Janey Bracken

3 comments:

  1. This looks great, I am an avid Father Ted fan. I wonder if the sim creator role plays any of the characters from the series? I would! I am half-way there with a Father Jack look already. B Jervil

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Father Ted too, such a funny show and even watching the re runs is good!! I've no idea whether they ever get in character at the sim, but that would be great fun! Father Jack's role was one of the funniest!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Father Jack look alike, Boye? I haven't seen the program, but from what I understand that is not good. However, if Father Jack ever gets thrown out of his current home, I know just the place where he would feel comfortable.

    ReplyDelete