Monday 5 October 2009

My Rez Day, the Underground Club and Some Thoughts on Community


Last Saturday was my rez day, I turned 2! Hard to believe. And what a great day it was, too. I was able to celebrate with so many of my friends and appreciate how wonderful SL can be.

Normally I would post this kind of entry on my own personal blog but since the demise of Virtually London (lite) I know that some of its readers have migrated over here and I want to thank them for all they did to make my rez day special. One of the great thrills of the day for me was going to the Underground Club and seeing my name, face and rezday wishes on posters in the club. Words cannot come close to expressing how touched I was, thank you everyone.

And this leads on to something I had been planning to write for Virtually London (lite). Quite a few weeks ago I began asking people in the Underground Club why they liked coming there. Then other things began happening in the London sims, the opening of Soho, the opening of the Jazz Club, Fashion Week, to name a few, and that article was put on the back burner, never to come off. However, I want to acknowledge the people who did respond to my request and publish some of their thoughts here.

“I found the UGC about a year ago, shortly after I joined SL. They welcomed me right away and soon I felt like one of the family. The DJs are fantastic and and the hostesses are warm and friendly. At the UGC you can just relax, leave the drama at the door and be yourself. Theres no better place to enjoy great tunes and even better company. “ Anon

“I love the UGC, it always has a fun and friendly atmosphere. I know that no matter what kind of day I've had the combination of good music and friendly faces will always have me smiling within minutes. The place has a genuine warmth and is a great places to meet friends new and old.” - Amourette

“My partner and I come to UGC quite often. It is a nice place. There are nice people. The hosts and DJs do a good job. People are here to listen to the music and have a nice conversation. No one really trying to become the center of attention. So..nice place..nice people..good music. “ –Lily

“The main reasons i like the ugc in knightsbridge is:-
the two people that run it seany and brie have been great friends of mine for a long time.
I used to work here as a host but rl gets in the way now so i come to see all the fantastic people that get into the ugc.
this is also the first club i ever came to in sl, and i still feel it is one of the best for a great laugh and banter with people.
i have also met some of my closest friends here in the ugc it is a great place to meet people and get to know the.
i have always liked this place and its a great way to meet people from all walks of life.
just everything about the place makes you feel welcome and your can always have a laugh.” Al1

“First, i am happy for have founded this amazing club in SL.
I like here because the people are great, always, que host are fantastic and the dj's are the best.
I would like to know London in RL some day, hope will be better that SL.
Thanks all for be always nice.” – Anon

To sum up the comments, people feel comfortable in coming to the UGC, they meet avatars from all over the world and can talk and laugh in a warm and welcoming atmosphere. It all sounds so simple, and yet how many places are like this? A real strong sense of community has developed in the London sims and it is something to be cherished and nurtured. Thank you to all who helped me celebrate my rez day, I hope we will continue to get together for many more happy times.

Hibiscus Hastings






5 comments:

  1. Hi Hib,

    What a brilliant time we had at the UGC celebrating your Rezday! hard to believe it's two years since you joined, although it seems like we have always known each other!! The UGC has always been the jewell in Virtual London's Crown because of the unique atmosphere. Two very special people make it happen, they are friendly, warm, hardworking, loyal, genuine, just amazing, yes Brie and Seany! This lovely couple attract other really nice people and Seany has a great team working for him with the wonderful dj's and hosts who make us all so welcome. Virtual London's success depends on people, people go to places they enjoy and as long as the UGC is given it's full merit Virtual London will continue to be a number one place to be part of!! The UGC community is one of the best I've seen in SL!

    Janey x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Janey i thought the two special people you you were talking abt then was me and nilsey lol. Its all true,the UGC is a great place to go and have fun. Ive met all my best friends there and we all still go there dont we!!

    Anyway glad i found you three again so i can write my silly comments again lol love youuuuuuuuuuu all Hotsey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 2nd Rezz Day Hibsey hope you had a fab time and were surprized to see us all there, we waited ages for you lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hots,

    Love your comments!!! and you and Nils are both very special people!!

    Janey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hots, I was VERY surprised, it was wonderful and so thoughtful.Sorry it took me so long to get there, but RL on weekends is even worse than weekday RL and I didn't know you were all there. I'm so glad to see you over on this blog now, look forward to lots of comments! xxx

    ReplyDelete