Wednesday 7 October 2009

Love Your Virtual Pets!!


My Siamese kitten Max is a right little character, my friend Drax bought him for me for my birthday and Max, in many ways, is just like a real cat. Pets are one of SL’s amazing things, fellow writer Ed has a cat as well that he carries around, and it purrs loudly! My kitten is programmed for a few different things, he roams about and suddenly lays down and goes to sleep and snores. After a brief nap he gets up and stretches and continues to run around. Probably the cutest thing is the fact that I can walk around the sim and he will follow me along the road. He has his own food bowl, plus a packet of cat food, a little bath that I can wash him in, and a ball to play with. I can carry him across sim borders, although he is a bit big to carry, but then again, I can adjust his size if I want to. I remember logging off and leaving him in my SL Chelsea apartment only to find that when I had logged back on he had gone down into the street to watch the builders who were creating a park area. They were amused at how he would wander about and then just fall asleep at the roadside.

I took a look around a couple of pet stores yesterday to see what they had, and the range is vast, you can even buy your very own crocodile. I started at the Lolo Pets Store and there was this huge croc roaming about on the decking, pretty harmless I thought, till he opened his mouth to show me a massive set of sharp teeth! I must have been lucky he wasn’t hungry, so I went off before he changed his mind! Lolo’s store does a nice selection of animals and aquarium fish too, she even has some nasty looking spiders for sale, I thought I would leave them on the shelf as Hibiscus wouldn’t appreciate any creepy crawlies running around in our new shop.

I teleported over to Zoobyland, a well laid out sim, with many exotic animals as well as domestic pets for sale. The features on these animals is very well done, you can get that lovely dopey looking Labrador, which comes in black, cream and brown or you can buy yourself a magnificent looking lion or black puma. Once you look around, you start to want them all, you can buy baby wild cats that you can cuddle and even monkeys to sit on your shoulder. These animals are very pricey, nearing the 1000 Linden mark or more, but they are cleverly scripted and have a virtual life of their own.

When I had been over to see Celine, the little green witch’s home the other day, she had a blue and gold Macaw flying around, I watched as it landed near us for a minute or two, then it took off again, flying in various patterns all round the sim. The Macaw wasn’t just repeating the same route over and over, he seemed to go off for different periods of time before returning, very impressive!

My little Max comes from a place called A.I.F. and they do corgi dogs as well as kittens. You can even buy a little house for your cat or dog to live in and clothes for it to wear. As time goes on the people who make these cats and dogs update the scripting and you can go back for a free update too, so it’s worth paying that bit more for a really smart pet.

Be careful though, next time you see a cat or dog walking about in the street, it may not be a virtual pet, but a real person who is wearing an avatar animal skin, so don’t go over and pat him on the head in case he does bite you…….
Janey Bracken

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful pets are out there! I am glad that Max has made the move over to our new office, I love watching him running around and I especially love it when he flops down and starts to snore. Even when you and Ed aren't around I never feel lonely now that Max has joined us. But you're right, I would not like the creepy crawlies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a shoulder kitten which if clicked, flays out with it's claws leaving red scratches. It is not a very endearing characteristic and I am sure there are tamer pets out there. Spiders! who would want a sl spider as a pet?
    BJ

    ReplyDelete